Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

august round-up

I ran 140 in July, so I decided I wanted to hit 150 in August. My final total was 152 - just over. I really think the fruit has helped these past two days - my legs have felt much much better. Bananas are definitely proven to be great for runners, but I'm building my faith in all fruit for that.

It's incredible to me that what used to be a longer-ish runs for me are now my daily runs. Earlier I commented that the book Born to Run changed my attitude about running and really helped me get to the level of running I'm currently at. And I do believe that. If you like running at all (or just want to read a phenomenal story) get that book. It is so dang worth it. But something else I've learned as I've been running, especially in the past two months, is that the capabilities and desires have always been there, hidden or dormant or trapped. And the book maybe helped me see them, but it was God who really helped me release them. Running has been an incredible way for me to experience the strength of my own body, the possibilities I possess. I run now for positive reasons - its healthy, it feels good to be outside and moving, I like seeing how far I can push myself, pure enjoyment - instead of the old reasons - mainly ones tied to negative self-image and weight issues (neither of which really helped me enjoy running or go very far... and I always quit after a bit). Running has been a way for God to really break down some old lies that I believed about myself and to heal me. I am an incredibly different person mentally in regards to my body and my self-image at the end of these two months than I was at the beginning. Running was definitely the key, but God was the one turning the key. I didn't really want this entry to be a sermon, but I also felt strongly that I needed to give God the credit for what He had done, and not say it was just running or just a book. Both played a large part, but they weren't THE part. September's goal is 175, just to see if I can. I am thankful for new freedom and continued growth.

Egg roll update: couldn't find egg roll wrappers in the grocery store (new leads have suggested the produce section??) so used corn tortillas instead. The filling tasted really good but I thought the tortilla was a bit too much for the filling... so I still want to try it egg-roll style. If all else fails I might get phyllo dough and try it that way. Still, a good recipe. And the filling really was delicious. Would be excellent as a salsa-like dip for tortilla chips.

Also got a new basil plant from Meijer - a bigger one. Trying to grow it indoors and hoping it keeps. I probably need to get it a new pot this week. I should move my oregano now, while it's still alive, and before an early frost comes in (which seems likely considering it's AUGUST and 45 degrees this morning). Our friend Irene gave me a tiny hen and chicks plant. She said the chicks should start coming out in a week. I am very excited about this plant!!

Also. Random: Dave and I have watched the Bourne Trilogy this weekend and in the movies the killer/assassins are called "assets." We have taken to calling Mosie "The Asset" when she is in play mode since she loves to stalk and hunt.

2 comments:

  1. I love the new theme, Kimmack--it looks wonderful. Especially the picture at the top--it's by far the best part.

    I'm glad to see you figured out that the bane of your running was as simple as the fruit thing--that's a good thing to keep in mind. Plus, I'm going to check out this book of yours--I could use a little extra motivation.

    Hope "The Asset" and the boy are doing well. Talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kim~ this is a great post! i'm definitely going to check out that book...with all my free mornings until i have a job, i should be running, but don't as often as i should...anyway, congrats on the mileage, that is awesome! p.s. my mom always got egg roll wrappers at an asian food store in indy...so you could try to find one next time you're in a bigger (than goshen!) city and stock up!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes