Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

a new monday morning?

Typically Mondays are my day off, whether I really need the off day or not.  Because I leave for Marion at 6am and get off work at 5pm, and because it gets dark so early, I don't normally run.  Last night I talked to Dave about getting up early and hitting the gym for a quick run before I got in the car.  When the alarm went off at 4:45am the following thought process occurred:

What? What's that noise?

Oh.

Ugh. This was such a bad idea.

I could go back to sleep... but it would only be about 30 minutes.

Is it worth it?

I have to pee.


So I got up and went to the bathroom.  And I turned on the light, which really helped seal the deal.  As long as I was up and adjusted to light, I thought I might as well give it a try, at least once.  So I changed and headed down to the car and to the gym.  I did a quick 30 minutes on the treadmill - holding at a 9:22 pace in between 1 minute sprint intervals (at 7 or sub-7 pace) every 5 minutes.  In the end I did 3.4 miles in 30 minutes, which I was pleased with.  I hurried home, showered, grabbed coffee and oatmeal, and was out the door by 6:07am.  Not too shabby!

Will I do this every Monday?  Possibly.  It felt really good to have a workout done, especially on a Monday.  I'm tired, but I don't think 30 minutes of sleep would have really helped that much.  It will be harder to motivate myself when it's icy and snowy and really cold - I'll have to get up earlier in order to scrape the car before I go.  And that makes the whole idea less appealing.  So we'll take it as we go... for now I'm hoping to repeat this on coming Mondays.

Going to try to sneak in another 30 minutes of treadmill intervals after work today. Very excited to see the Patriots v. Saints game tonight!  I'm conflicted on who to cheer for.  I ahbor the Patriots, but the Saints have a perfect record - and I only want my Colts to have a perfect record!  In the end, I think my dislike of the Patriots will overrule it all.

2 comments:

  1. good job--that's what i call motivation. i went running this a.m., too, but at 6:45 a.m., which was...hours later than you. (:

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes