Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

split pea soup

I always loved mom's split pea soup.  The first time I tried to make it on my own I didn't use enough peas (turns out I read 1 1/3 c. split peas as just 1/3 c.) and it turned out to be salty pale green broth.  Not so delicious.  I've ventured off of mom's recipe and come up with my own simple recipe that is always delicious!  It may look lumpy (this was also reheated), but it tastes divine!
Split Pea Soup
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1c. split peas
3c. broth
1c. water (you can play with this broth/water ratio and do more water/less broth if you want)
2t. italian seasoning
salt to taste

Saute onion, carrot, and garlic in a little olive oil for about 5-10 minutes.  Add broth, water, split peas, and italian seasonings.  Bring to boil.  Simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until peas are soft and water is mostly absorbed.  If the water absorbs and your peas aren't soft enough yet, add a little more water (1c. at a time) and continue cooking.  Salt to taste.  (If you like your soup thinner you can add more broth or water or add a cup of milk at the end and stir through.)

Enjoy with crusty bread, with crunchy crackers, or just on its own!

Indy half marathon pictures were emailed out today.  Normally there are quite a few... but this year I apparently was only special enough to get two.  But unlike normal race photos I don't 1) look like I'm dying or 2) look like I'm walking!  HOORAY!!!

5 comments:

  1. i love how you were able to smile and even pose during the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look adorable, Kim! I love these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my gosh those are some the best race pictures every! buy those!

    I have never tried split pea soup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...wait...I remember THAT soup :) Remember? :) Raincheck please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well my pics do look like I am dying. I however, do look like I am running, but my mom looks like she is walking and she is right beside me...so that doesn't say much for me!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes