Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

good old fashioned a$$-kicking

Unfortunately, it was the marathon kicking my butt and not the other way around.  Today started out well - I was nervous but felt good about my training and the weather seemed pretty nice.  I was completely anticipating a great run.  And then.

Miles 1-3: I was well under 9 minute miles and felt great.  The race was decent sized but not so big that I spent time ducking around people.  I was able to just run.  I liked that.
Mile 7: mental note that my shirt is already completely soaked.  So it's maybe a little humid out.
Mile 10: 1:31... starting to inch up over 9min./mile, but I wasn't worried.  I had been trying to drink at every other water station, but I was starting to feel the humidity, so I started drinking at every one.
Mile 15: the wall.  I felt wiped out.  I was starting to feel dizzy/nauseous and my pace was slowing down.
Mile 16: got to see Dave and walk with him a little bit.  As soon as I saw him I started hyperventilating and crying... I was so overwhelmed, exhausted, and frustrated with how bad I felt.
Mile 19: finally threw up in the grass.  A lot.  Had some really nice runners stop and see if I was okay, offer me swigs of gatorade from their bottles.
Miles 20-26: hard hard hard.  Initially after I threw up I felt better, but soon it really knocked me out.  I had just thrown up any energy I had consumed, but my stomach was still too knotted to take anything in.  I walked/ran the rest - walked a lot - drinking water where I could, still feeling really dizzy and nauseated.  I can't even count how many times I had to stop and put my hands on my knees and put my head down until I could push off the dizziness.

Final time: 5:11:29.  My first marathon I ran 5:12:07 and I was so confident that I could beat that time today.  My training went really well and I was hopeful to get under 4:30, maybe even close to 4:15.  Throughout the race I watched as each of those goals slipped away, even sub-5.

I'm frustrated and disappointed.  In the race I knew I couldn't push any more than I did.  I was exhausted and completely spent.  But now showered and home I just keep thinking I should have done better.

In happier news, my friend Amanda ran her first half-marathon today and got 1:54!!
I'm proud of you, Amanda!!

Pre-race:

And at home post-race.  I think Mosie might be interested in distance running.

Off to eat some popcorn and hang out with my love.  Happy Saturday!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you babe. You gave it your best. Today was not a failure. You are loved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it didn't turn out how you wanted...but you finished! Definitely something I couldn't do. Don't be so hard on yourself. It was way humid out there today!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I'm glad that you were able to finish! Everyone has their bad races but it's all a part of the game : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...just read the synopsis. I'm sorry it was so rough. Especially because of all the hard work you've put in preparing. I'm so proud of you - you ran 26 miles!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh honey. I'm sorry for your disappointment. I super proud of you! I can't imagine even trying to run or walk after throwing up. :) I'm super impressed regardless. loves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, girl! It sounds like this was a REALLY tough run, and you should be immensely proud for pushing through all of those struggles. You may not have hit your time goal, but you completed your second marathon, which is HUGE! And remember that this doesn't mean all your training was in vain. Whenever I read about people's marathon experiences, I'm way more impressed by the time and effort they put into training than by the end result. You've worked really hard, and I find that incredibly admirable and inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did the best you could. It sounds like you were really close to a heat sickness or dehydration! Those are serious conditions and they especially affect your performance. You did great for making it through!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes