Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

reader recipe poll: POM brownies

Last week the people at POM Wonderful sent me 8 8oz. bottles of POM juice.  I was super excited.  I've had POM once before and I really liked it... but let's face it, I'm too cheap to pony up the money to buy the juice on a regular basis.  I defiitely could have downed those little bottles all on my own, but why not use them for more creative things - like brownies!
Double Chocolate POM Brownies (adapted from POM Wonderful Recipes)
1/3c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2c. butter (1 stick), softened
3/4c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2c. sugar
3 eggs
1T. vanilla
1 1/2c. flour
3/4c. POM juice

Melt the 1/3c. chocolate chips and butter in a small bowl in the microwave (about 1 minute on high).  Stir together until chocolate is mostly melted.  Combine butter and chocolate mixture and sugar in a medium bowl.  Stir well.  Blend in the eggs and vanilla.  Add in flour and chocolate chips.  Add in POM juice.  (Oooh and ahhh over how pretty!)
Mixture will be thin.  Pour in greased 9x13 baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean and brownie edges are just pulling away from the pan.

While brownies bake, drink the rest of the POM juice.  I prefer mine watered down - it still tastes just as great!

Enjoy on its own, with ice cream, or pull a Dave and "frost" it with peanut butter and nutella!

The review: Delicious!  The POM gives just a hint of tang under the brownies - very subtle.  The brownies are cakey, but moist.

Recommendations: Try a smaller pan for thicker, maybe more fudgy brownies?  I also wonder if you could decrease the amount of sugar?

Overall: I'm not sure the POM made enough of a difference in the brownies to justify buying it... regular brownies without the POM would be cheaper and probably just as delicious?  But drinking the leftovers is fun!

Coming soon: fruit soup!  I have a feeling the POM will make a bigger difference in this one!

I'm headed out for a long run - hoping to get my 20 miles in that I missed last week!  It's cold this morning - 48 degrees!!  Fingers crossed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes