Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

September's grocery challenge

This week's groceries are a little weird, considering we were in Tennessee for the first part of the week.

Groceries, week 4: $36.28
  • 6 cans of pumpkin
  • 1 reese big cup
  • 2lbs. eggplant ($1.17/lb.)
  • 2 packages whole wheat tortillas
  • 2lbs. green grapes ($.99/lb.)
  • 3lbs. honeycrisp apples ($.99/lb.)
Random, right?  Here's the story behind it all:
  • pumpkin: I haven't been able to find any pumpkin in our stores up here yet.  Mom said she knew grocery stores down in TN had it, so I stocked up.  My sister said she heard a rumor that pumpkin is going to be scarce this year?
  • big cup: No one in my family had tried a big cup yet!  Dave and I had to fix this situation.  Everyone loooved them!
  • eggplant and tortillas: Clearly I'm still greek eggplant roll-up obsessed.  And I'm embracing it.
  • fruit: Honeycrisp apples for $.99!!  Yes, please!  
I'm sure I'll have to go back to the store this weekend to grab some things for the rest of the week.  I know we need flour (for bread) and milk (for yogurt) and various veggies for recipes.  But it looks like week 4 will come in under budget as well!  Thus far we have spent $202.96 for the month of September, with a goal of $60 or less per week.  (Read here for an introduction to the grocery challenge, and here for week 3's summary.)

Would you guys like me to continue weekly grocery updates in the next month?

4 comments:

  1. we had a hard time finding pumpkin last year, so when I saw some earlier this week I stocked up too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man i must be the only blogger not freaking over pumpkin. I bought eggplant tonight to made your rollups!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i went grocery shopping yesterday and bought a big cup! stuck it in the freezer for an emergency though! =) miss you! have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your groceries posts, I am amazed at what you can do with your budget! With kids and a husband who likes meat, I think we spend 2-3x your budget (sadly).

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes