Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

well hello, eggplant!

It's no secret that I go through "food kicks."  I fall in love with a food, eat it like crazy for about a month or more, then move on to my next kick.  I've gone through green smoothies, oatmeal, roasted broccoli, sweet potatoes... all things I still love and eat, but maybe not with the "once or twice a day" gusto that I did when I first had them.

My newest obsession?  Greek eggplant wraps.  If you would have told me that I would love these before, I would have said you were nuts.  I didn't even like eggplant.  But oh, how things change in the face of olive oil, oregano, basil, tomato, and feta...

Take a tortilla and spread it with tomato jam.  Then add feta and fresh basil leaves.
Pile on a couple slices of roasted eggplant.  Wrap up and devour.  Repeat as necessary.
I've been eating these for breakfast, lunch, and dinner... I can't stop!  And eggplant is definitely going on my store list when I get home.  These roasted slices would be so good on sandwiches!

If you think you don't like eggplant please please please give these a try!  I think you will!

Roasted Eggplant
1 lb. eggplant
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4c. olive oil
2t. oregano
1t. salt
1/4t. pepper

Cut the eggplant lengthwise into quarters.  Cut each quarter into quarters.  Mix garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper in large bowl.  Add eggplant and toss until evenly covered.  Spread eggplant over a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.  Turn each piece, then return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
Stand and eagerly anticipate your eggplant.

Tomato Jam
3lbs. (5 large) beefsteak tomatoes.
3T. olive oil
1/2c. chopped onion
2t. minced garlic
1t. cayenne
1t. pepper
1t. coriander seed
1t. mustard seed
1/2t. cumin
1c. vinegar
3/4c. sugar
1/4c. dry sherry

Blanch the tomatoes for 30 seconds, then plunge in ice water.  Skin and chop.

Saute the olive oil and onion in a large pot for 3 minutes.  Add in garlic and saute 2 more minutes.  Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients.  Cook over medium high heat until mixture comes to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer until most of the liquid evaporates, about 2-3 hours.  Cool completely.  Chill.  Makes 2c.

As is, the tomato jam is not spicy, but does have some kick to it (maybe a "medium" on the salsa scale).  Cut back on the cayenne for a milder jam.

Are you an eggplant fan?  If so, what's your favorite way to eat it?

3 comments:

  1. I love to make ratatouille! We first tried it this summer and it was the first time I ever ate or purchased an eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggplant suggestion: Cut eggplant into circles... fry it up. On a cookie sheet place eggplant circles, feta cheese on top, and some pepperoni... deliciousness ensues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am totally the same with food kicks! this actually looks perfect for me right now, thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes