Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas prep

I made my first ever layer cake today - gluten-free carrot cake for Christmas tomorrow.  Dave's mom is gluten-intolerant, so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it!  I made a few modifications - I used honey instead of agave syrup and applesauce instead of grapeseed oil.  I also cut out the raisins and nuts.  I chose cream cheese frosting rather than coconut because I am not a coconut girl!

Wet ingredients, dry ingredients, carrots.

I kind of forgot to take a pre-oven picture.

Out of the oven!

The "oh crap, these cakes won't come out of the pan what do I do" face.
I did not call my mom (I thought about it.  Several times.).  I hitched up my pants and made my own solution.

What I missed capturing on camera was me having the cakes fall out in chunks, reassembling them on plates and them (thankfully) somewhat molding together and holding, me frosting, me with tons of carrot cake crumbs, me resigning myself to a not-picture-perfect-but-passable cake.
Fingers crossed for when this sucker gets cut into tomorrow.  I have a feeling this will be carrot cake+frosting mash-up in a bowl, but it all tastes the same right?  Now I can begin worrying about it not tasting right, falling apart tonight or enroute tomorrow, and it being horrid.  And Dave telling me it's fine.  And me thinking it really is fine, because it's just cake, and it's family, but worrying all the same.

Moving on.

Also today, oatmeal m&m cookies for our landlords.  These are actually pre-workout cookies with candy.  I started getting lazy and tired of butter and the mixer and just wanted something simple, easy, and relatively healthy.  The rest are coming to Christmas tomorrow in case the cake really is a bomb!
Tomorrow I'll assemble a spinach, feta, sesame seed, sunflower seed, browned onion, red pepper, vinaigrette salad.  Yum!  We're also taking some orange slices for munching.

Today I also put on my wedding dress again, for the first time in a year.
Having lost 30+ pounds this past year, it fit quite a bit different!

Our church doesn't have a Christmas Eve service, so we might go to another church here in town for one.  Not sure what else the evening might hold - a movie, reading, sleeping?  We're both ready for a break and so excited to see family tomorrow, to get to MI on the 26th, and to see more family on the 28th!

Since the gym is closed tomorrow (obviously) I'm thinking of going over to the church in the morning and running - with 3 stories of stairs on either side of the building I figure I can get a decent workout in running up and down and between!

Merry Christmas!!!

3 comments:

  1. you look great! and so does your cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm sure your cake will taste delicious, and that's what really matters. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great and the cake sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes