Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

pre-workout cookies

I went to go running this morning - outside again!  Finally! - and found the roads covered in an icy slush.  Given my propensity for falling and breaking things, I decided not to run and to maybe give it a try after church, when the ice might have some time to thaw.  I had seen this recipe and thought it sounded like a fun idea, so I decided to give it a try since I had time to kill this morning.  The results:
They're little cookies, but I think they'll be great to eat before I go run!  They're kind of chewy and a little bit sweet.  I loved the taste!  The only thing I'll change is the sunflower seeds (which is my own fault - I added them) - the texture of the seeds was weird to me.  I think they could be good with craisins, or chunks of apple, or pumpkin, too!  They're estimated at about 100 or less calories, so they'll burn up fast and not sit like a rock in your stomach!

Here's the recipe with my substitutions:

Pre-workout cookies
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. old fashioned oats
1/4 c. ground flaxseed
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. raisins (or craisins, chocolate chips, peanut butter etc.)
1+ t. cinnamon
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/4 c. apple sauce

Mix together.  Spoon into greased muffin tin - each cup should be about 1/3 full.  Mine only made 10, not 12.  Bake at 375 for about 10-12 minutes.

What do you eat before you run or workout?  I like a big mug (or 2) of coffee and some cheerios or granola bar or something like these.

Head cold update: getting better!  In an effort to kick it quickly I've been doing the following:
  • 4 cups echinacea tea, daily
  • 1-2 oranges, daily
  • zinc supplements
  • extra sleeping (nap yesterday, slept in today)
  • Mucinex
Friends of ours dropped off an entire box of oranges yesterday, which has certainly helped!  Hoping to get a run in today or for sure tomorrow to get the lungs moving, too.

8 comments:

  1. They look like little beef patties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I like the recipe! I sed to be very methodical about what I ate before running, now I try to get out the door as fast as possible so it won't behot. So usually some nuts and some bread or granola bat

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea! i'm giving this recipe a whirl when i get home. thx for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your workout cookie recipe; I'll have to give those a try. It's so cold here! No snow, but it's windy, and I'm trying to give myself pep talks so I'll run outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm gonna try the cookies too. but rest assured, i am not going running after eating them. :-) thanks clout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i should say, i will try these cookies when we have an oven again... probably after returning from virginia after christmas, since the part won't get here till next week! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. there! finally got rid of that stupid ampersand symbol mess from my display name. much better.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes