Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

weekend

More infrequent postings, as we still are internet-less in our house.  Our landlords are thinking it will be back up on Tuesday?  We sure hope so!!!

New deliciousness: spaghetti squash with homemade tomato sauce (tomato puree, garlic, onion, basil, oregano) and black beans and a touch of parmesan!  It’s sooo good and a wonderful warm comfort food for the fall.  I have a feeling I’m going to be eating a lot of spaghetti squash through the winter… or for as long as Kroger has it!  I have a small dumpling squash that I’m going to try slicing thin and roasting on a cookie sheet with a little olive oil and herbs.  We’ll see how it turns out!

Saturday I ran for the first time in 27 degree weather.  Surprisingly, it was kind of fun.  When I started (6:50am) it was still dark, but very clear and starry.  When I got home I had frost in my hair and down the sleeves of my fleece!  I’m slowly figuring out the perfect layering so that I’m not too hot and not too cold.  I still need to get a pair of lined running tights – my sweatpants haven’t quite been cutting it, and my quads get tight from the cold.  I went looking for running tights at Kohl’s and Target but no such luck (they just had flimsy, unlined ones).  I’ll try Walmart and Meijer… then resort to online?  Any particular brands/kinds I should be seeking out?  I was thinking Champion, UnderArmour, Danskin, Nike… but I’m sure there are plenty of others I don’t know about.

My friend Kayla came to visit us Friday night/part of Saturday – we mostly just laid low and hung out, and tried the new deli/butcher shop downtown.  I had a fairly decent veggie sandwich (although now that I think about it I’m pretty sure it advertised more ingredients than I actually got), but the bread was lacking… and bread makes or breaks a sandwich.  They did have some good looking fish, and I’ve been intending to try my hand at fish-cooking, just to say I’ve given it a fair shot.  So I might return, although not likely for lunch.  Dave and I finished the night off watching a very close ND/USC game, accompanied by a little popcorn.  Sunday we went out to lunch with all of Dave’s family (Melody was home for fall break) and then spent the afternoon watching football, napping, playing with Mosie, and just hanging out together. 

And to leave you: in college Dave got really in to racquetball, but he’s found it hard to find people to play with now.  A guy at our church recently connected Dave with a racquetball club in the area that plays together for about 2 hours every week – whoever comes, all different skill levels.  Dave is VERY excited, as evidenced by this:

5 comments:

  1. love the picture...
    and i recommend underarmour running tights. i bought some for long underwear puposes, but now wear them for cool weather running all by themselves and under pants when it gets really cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like racquetball! I'll come up and visit and we can play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. joel loves playing racquetball :) have dave bring all of his stuff if he comes on the 6th! the boys can go play and you and i can do something else :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay spaghetti squash!

    haha, love how hardcore dave looks in his raquetball gear.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes