Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

slurry sloppy spicy drunken beans

My current pet peeve: Kroger isn't carrying any frozen fruit except for rhubarb (maybe I should try rhubarb oats?) and they only have pie filling, but no plain canned blueberries and no canned pumpkin (that isn't spiced and sugared to death for pies).  Argh!  Apparently when it does come back to the shelves I'll have to make the mental note to stock up.  I would love some pumpkin to make muffins, but alas.

After my kitchen win/kitchen fail yesterday my sister, Kelly, supplied her own recent kitchen win: Drunken Beans.  Dave and I found them intriguing and delicious sounding, so they were on tap for dinner tonight!

The ingredients: (so easy!)
The process: Double double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble... sorry, I just got momentarily transported back to 12th grade Shakespeare when Rachel and Rebecca and I had to act out the three witches on video.
The dish:
The meal: With some of my mom's homemade apple sauce and some sweet corn I froze this past summer.  (Unpictured: the free brownie and free chocolate cookie Dave brought home!)
The verdict: the fire roasted tomatoes were a bit fiery for Dave and I.  Whoa.  They added some definite kick to it!  Dave calmed his down with shredded cheddar and I put a little nutritional yeast on mine.  But it was seriously delicious and we can't wait to try it again... with regular tomatoes!

The recipe:


Kelly's Drunken Beans
Saute1 c. onions in a little olive oil (I used 1.5 small onions)
Add to the onion:
1 t. cumin
2 t. brown sugar
1 t. salt
some chipotle or spicing agent (I skipped this... thank goodness!)
2-4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 c. beans (1 can, drained and rinsed)
1 can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
1 12 oz. amber beer
Simmer 20 minutes or so.

3 comments:

  1. sounds yummy! i would like to try, but i need a bottle of beer. lol. could you just use regular tomatoes instead of fire roasted? i remember that video of you guys being witches- too funny! pumpkin is hard to find when it is not fall and also this year the weather caused there to be a shortage so you are probably going to have to wait awhile- i think i have 2 cans. maybe i will share with you next weekend. walmart has lots of frozen fruit- pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. were your fire roasted tomatoes spicy? the ones i buy are muir glen organic and they're just tomatoes roasted over a fire. no spice. no oil. no salt. you can definitely use normal tomatoes, too, if you can't find unspiced, fire roasted. then you can add some chipotle which is the best part of the whole recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes