Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

kickin' it old school

It's been awhile since two things have been talked about here.

1.  Oats!!  I've been eating a lot of veggie wraps lately (and loving them), but this morning it was cold and by the time I got home from my walk with Talia, my hands were ice cold.  Definitely an oats morning!
Steelies with plain yogurt, wheat germ, strawberries, and cinnamon.  Get in my belly.

2. Running!  To be honest, my desire to run lately has been somewhat diminished.  Physically I feel a little bit worn out.  I think being home this weekend will help, but I'm also thinking I might need to play around with my sleep.  Right now I get 8 hours a night - which is great! - but I think I might need a few 9 hour nights in there, particularly after and before my long run days.  Mentally I've been struggling, too.  This morning the beginning of my run felt awesome, but miles 6-10 felt heavy and demotivating.  Last weekend's long run was a mental battle, too.  I'm not entirely sure why this is, but I'm guessing it's connected to my physical health, and I have a feeling sleep might help this, too.  In any case, I do still love running and I'm still excited about the marathon... I think I've just hit a point where I need to play around with some things to make sure I'm feeling my absolute best.

Let's rewind to last night.  I made black bean and rice cakes (I used barley instead of rice, which seemed to work just fine.) along with oven fries and roasted parsnips.  Doesn't that avocado look so pretty?
To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the parsnip fries.  It was like a sweeter carrot, and it kind of annoyed me.  I will say that tossing them in olive oil, garlic salt, and flaxseed was awesomeness.  The flaxseed gave almost a breaded taste to the fries - so delicious!  The cakes kind of fell apart, so they were more like a mashed up tomato/avocado/black bean salad, but still very good.  I realized later that the recipe said to let them rest for 5 minutes out of the oven so they would firm up.  Whoops.  This would explain the falling apart problem.  Oh well.

Talia and I might have a little baking ahead of us today.  We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. did you see the quinoa recipe i emailed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I've lost the desire to run lately, too. Ever since the half, I've been doing super short runs and am perfectly ok with that. I think that I need variety! I'm sure you'll get back into it with additional rest, though. :-)

    I've parted ways with sweet oatmeal for the past couple of weeks...I've been doing savory with tomato sauce and spinach, which sounds weird, but it gets me some veggies in the morning, and it's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes