Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

unexpected workout

Last night after work I was feeling tired, but decided to hit the swimming pool, thinking it would refresh me.  But when I got to the rec center the pool was closed (pool hours for the summer are pretty sparse).  I had accidentally left my running shoes in Goshen, so I wasn't sure what to do.  Answer?  A barefoot run on the grassy field of the track!  It was blazing hot (90 and full sun) and I just had on shorts, my speedo, and a tank top, but it worked all the same.  The field was soggy from all the recent rain, but it felt good to have the cold water splashing on my toes and ankles and calves.  I did 2 miles and then called it quits because 1) it was ridiculously hot 2) there wasn't a drinking fountain (seriously, no drinking fountain at the track??) and 3) my body is used to shoes and pavement and I didn't want to overdo it and cause injury.  Still, I was pretty sweaty after only 20 minutes.
Turns out speedos are pretty good as sports bras.  Good to know.  I guess I'm ready for a triathlon?

I was pretty excited to sleep last night, as it would be on a real bed.  Dave and I haven't had a bed since we moved (we're hoping to get one soon) and have been sleeping either on an air mattress or a pile of quilts.  It's not terrible but it hasn't been great, and while I sleep through the night it's been awhile since I've woken up feeling refreshed and limber.  Last night I only got 6 hours of sleep but I popped awake feeling fantastic.  I can't even explain the difference sleeping on a mattress made, and with less hours than I was logging on the floor.  Getting a mattress has just become my top priority in order to save Dave and I's sanity and bodies.  

Since I woke up feeling so good I decided to hit the pool for a swim (I doublechecked the hours last night to make sure it wouldn't be another vain attempt).  It's been over a month since my last swim!  I definitely could tell that I hadn't swam in awhile, but it still felt so good to be stretched out and waterlogged again.

After delicious oats with pears and blueberries I'm in the office, coffee beside me.  I have high hopes for the day, cubicle and all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes