Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

go green

In honor of St. Patrick's day I brought back the green smoothie.  It's been awhile!
(In my fabulous new Kentucky mug from Jill!  Thanks, seester!!!)  This mug held a ton of smoothie... I can't wait until it's full of coffee!

Into the mix:
1 banana (it was way past any chance of me eating it straight up)
1 heaping T. flax
several huge handfuls spinach
1/4 c. blueberries
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. orange juice
1/4 c. old fashioned oats (yep, even oats in here!)

YUM.  I expect these will come around more as the weather gets warmer.  Sometimes I forget how delicious and refreshing they are!  And the OJ was a wonderful addition!  Don't worry, the oatmeal grinds up and just adds some bulk to the smoothie, making it a little thicker and adding staying-power.

I waited to run today until this afternoon, when I knew it would be warmer out.  Unfortunately, I didn't prepare myself well for the run.  For lunch (which I ate late) I had cottage cheese, a clif z-bar, and a Ghiradelli raspberry chocolate square.  Not exactly foods to propel you into a run.  When run time came around it was beautiful out but I felt mentally and physically out of run mode.  Dave even offered to run with me, so we went.  It was bad.  Running FAIL.  Dave had played a lot of racquetball this morning so he was tired and I was feeling gross and tired and out of it.  We ended up running some (maybe 3 miles) and walking (maybe 1.5 miles).  It was nice to be outside, but I wish the run could have gone better.  Tomorrow I'll run in the morning instead of waiting.

However, we had a great dinner WIN tonight!  I made salmon and lentil tabouli for dinner, straight from Runner's World.  It was awesome!!

I hadn't prepared salmon before, but it was fairly easy.  Well, after I figured out how to get the fish off the scaly part.  Seriously... isn't it supposed to come de-scaled completely, not just one side??  Then I washed it in lemon juice and salt (per the recipe), rinsed it with cold water, and put it in a skillet with some olive oil.  It came out awesome!  Here is the tabouli recipe, with my modifications.  I thought it made way too much dressing - it was just swimming in it!  If you want the original recipe, it's here.

1 c. green lentils
3 c. water
1/8 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 c. spinach, chopped
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/2 (big) tomato, diced
1 t. salt
1 t. parsley

Combine lentils and water and bring to boil.  Cover and simmer 20 minutes.  Toss together remainder of ingredients in bowl.  When lentils are finished drain, rinse, and add to mixture.  Toss until well combined.
Mosie thought dinner smelled pretty good, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes