Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

loafin'

Awhile back my sister sent me a Whole Foods recipe for Quinoa Loaf with Mushrooms and Peas.  While I love a loaf (bread or otherwise) and from our limited experience Dave and I both love quinoa, we do not like mushrooms and Dave hates peas.  So the recipe underwent some modifications (also based on what I had in the cupboards and fridge)...

Quinoa Loaf with Broccoli
2c. quinoa, cooked (1c. uncooked became 2c. cooked, roughly)
3/4c. rolled oats
1 1/2c. black beans, already cooked
1c. frozen chopped broccoli
1T. italian seasoning
1t. salt
1 onion, chopped

In a food processor, combine beans, oats, and 1/2c. water.  Process until smooth.  In a large bowl combine the quinoa, bean mixture, onion, broccoli, and seasonings.  Press mix into a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for about 1 hour, until browned and firm.  Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
Because our oven cooks crazy fast this was ready in less than 1 hour... which meant that even with the resting time we were eating at 4:45pm.  Like old people.

I liked this recipe, as did Dave.  We both put ketchup on it and Dave topped his with mozzarella cheese.  I think I want to play around with it a little next time to get some more flavor in there - maybe cooking the quinoa in vegetable broth and upping the herbs?  Adding some carrots?  Thoughts or ideas?

Good news!  My car is fixed (it was the ignition coil) and I'm about to walk over to pick it up... a little poorer, but able to get to work tomorrow for a meeting.

3 comments:

  1. my dad hates chick peas, too! I love them.

    was the loaf dry? I noticed you both reached for the ketchup...

    glad to hear your car is okay. tis the season for car troubles, at least for my room mate and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good, I love quinoa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting concept. As Jeremy and I both love peas and mushrooms, perhaps I'll try the original recipe some time.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes