Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

stuffed bean burgers

Last night I decided to try to make bean burgers.  I love the theory of bean burgers, and I've had some dang good ones at restaurants.  But every time I try to make them, they end up flopping.  I either over-process the ingredients, making a goopy mess that won't stay together, or I get impatient with the flipping or don't let them rest enough and they end up falling apart.  Or I try to make my own concoction and it ends up bland and uninspiring.

Finally: victory!  Well, mostly.  I used Mama Peas' "Cheese" Stuffed Bean Burgers recipe.  I thought they would be more work, but it really wasn't too bad.  I used barley instead of quinoa, because it's what I had in the cupboard.  And really, they were pretty delicious.  I probably did overprocess them a little bit (perhaps I shouldn't have tried to put the pasta, beans, onion all in my mini food processor at the same time... because it's way too mini and then the bottom ingredients get pureed and the top stay in whole form.  Whoops.) and I tried flipping them too often on the griddle (somebody tie me up and make me stay away).  But even with my mistakes, they came out tasting great!  I loved the hummus-y inside... although I think Dave was a little depressed that it wasn't actually cheese.  Next time I'll do some hummus and some shredded cheese.

Here they are before they got another bean layer to seal them:
Pretty, eh?

And a not so pretty picture of the finished product:
bad lighting + me being in a hurry to eat = substandard picture

But worth repeating and worth you giving a try yourself?  Definitely.

3 comments:

  1. that sounds good to me. I'll have to make them. I have a lentil/barley burger recipe that I REALLY like that I make. I usually make them for lunch when Aaron is not around so I don't have to listen to him whine about the lack of meat in the "burger" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this recipe and have been wanting to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anything stuffed with hummus is worth a try in my book. i'll have to check out mama pea's recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message!

A blog about running, recipes, and everything in between. Be sure to vote in the reader recipe polls on Monday mornings - recipes and reviews on Friday morning. Please say hi and thanks for reading!
 
Copyright 2009 a boy, a girl, and a kitty All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes